Skip to main content
- The Medway Youth Soccer website will be updated throughout the day if there are any weather related field closings or delays. Check as needed at medwaysoccer.com
- Yellow REFEREE Shirt or USSF Referee Shirt and patch
- Whistle, Watch, Coin, Pencil and note paper
- Protect the Players, including the Goalkeeper – help them learn the game.
- END ON TIME – this may mean shortening the quarters.
- Communicate with the players and coaches – make calls loudly and clearly and explain if needed
Before the Game
- Get to the field 15 minutes before game time. At game time, the coaches will start without you; or any qualified referee can take your game and the pay.
- Call for Captains, coin toss decides which side defends
- Get game ball from one of the coaches
- Whistle players onto field, check goalkeepers ready
- Whistle game to start – CHECK WATCH for time
During the Game
- Keep up with the play and be confident, courteous and involved.
- Blow your whistle LOUDLY and FIRMLY and make your calls LOUDLY and CLEARLY so that players and coaches know the call.
- Zero Tolerance Rules Apply to Everyone’s behavior! Call the Ref Coordinator ASAP!
- Direct players to get the ball, or retrieve it yourself – Keep the Game Moving.
- Time: Each half is 25 minutes, running time, no stoppage of the clock.
- Halftime is 5 minutes.
- END ON TIME, REGARDLESS!!
- All free kicks are Indirect, NO Penalty Kicks
- Throw-ins can be retaken once. Explain what was wrong.
- Goalies may go to the top of the goal area to throw the ball out.
- Subs may be made as in 7v7 rules or injury.
After the Game
- Return game ball to coach and usher players to sideline so next game can begin immediately.
- Email score to Referee Assignor – [email protected]. Please indicate team number and goals for each team.
- You will not be paid if you do not email a score. Scores are due by 5 PM the Monday following the game. Pay information will be submitted every other week to MYS.